- Back to Home »
- Vitamin - D
Posted by : Razib smile Monday, July 29, 2013
Vitamin -D1 Calciferol
Vitamin -D2 Ergo - Calcifrerol
Vitamin -D3 Chole -Calciferol
Source of Vitamin -D
Fish liver oil
Sea fish ( Salmon, Tuna, Hering )
Milk products like butter, cheese etc
Yeast and food / vegetables irradiated with ultraviolet ray.
Nature:- Ultraviolet ray of sunlight converts Ergo-calciferol and 7-dehydro cholestrerol into Ergo-calciferol and colecalciferol respectively in the skin.
Daily Requirements :-
400 i.u. for adult.
600 - 800 i.u in pregnancy and lactation
Function of Vitamin - D
1. Vitamin -D regulates the absorption of calcium and phosphorous from the intestinal tract.
2. Vitamin -D also helps in the calcification of new bone and development of teeth .
3. Vitamin -D is necessary for the proper growth of bone . This is why it is also know as anti-ricketic vitamin.
Deficiency of Syndrome
1. Mild deficiency causes insufficient utilization of calcium and phosphorous in developing cartilage and newly formed bones and teeth.
2. In severe deficiency it causes ricket in children and osteomalacia in adult .
In ricket , the newly growing bones become abnormal in shape and structure such as bow legs
, knocky knees , enlargment of the ends of the bones etc. But in osteo malacia it is marked by increasing softness of the bones so that they become flexible and brittle thus causing deformities.